A balance of Mind-Body-Spirit

Saturday, March 3, 2007

Turbo Jam...and eating....


The last few days I have gone back to my Turbo Jam workouts - I had such a craze on these last year that I almost O.D.'ed on them. :-)

What is cool about Turbo Jam is that it is a mix of dance and kickboxing - Chalene Johnson urges you to "get your freak on!".

The music is awesome and the interval cardio is very effective. And a whole lot of fun.

Thursday I did Cardio Party 1 and Ab Jam. And ice skating with the kids and some of my friend's dds. Friday - Cardio Party 2 and Ab Jam again - my abs need all my work. lol! Saturday was Cardio Party Remix and my own ab routine. Plus lots of dancing at Jonathon's birthday party.


And after all this cardio and kickboxing resistance work, today was a sculpt day - Turbo Jam Booty Sculpt and Abs. I used 4kg and 3 kg weights ( about 8 1/2 lbs and 6 1/2 lbs).

You can read some reviews of TJ here. I bought my workouts last year on ebay.

I've also been reading a book and modifying my diet a bit.

I don't diet anymore. I don't follow any plan. But I like to read about health and fitness and get some tips.

I am reading Fat Around the Middle by Dr Marilyn Glenville.


Here are her eating tips, for losing that "fat around the middle", with my modifications in brackets.


1.Stop dieting and don't count calories.

2.Eat little and often.

3. Don't skip breakfast.

4.Eliminate sugar and refined carbohydrates from your life. ( Well, I am not into banning foods so I just try to avoid these and follow the 80/20 rule - 80% of the time I eat unprocessed and healthy food and 20% of my diet is allowable "junk". :-) )

5.Add protein to each meal.

6.Eat essential fats ( in nuts, seeds, full fat hommous, avocado, for example...).

7.Don't eat on the run. ( Sometimes impossible for me but I try to be mindful more often than not)

8.Watch what you drink. ( Lots of water - this is good and a natural for me; no caffeine or alcohol - as if! I just try to cut down on caffeine - right now for Lent - and don't have my gin and tonics or margaritas or glass of wine every day. Maybe just once a week?).

9.Change the way in which you think about food. ( No obsessing, work on mind stuff and emotional eating. And remember that no one's perfect. Don't neglect the spiritual for the physical).

3 comments:

Cindy said...

All great ideas, Leonie!

And you are so good at putting topics on your posts.. I need to remember that.

Esp I like your 80/20 rule. That works so well in many things in life.... Great tips. ;)

Cindy said...

Leonie... your post reminds of the scripture I put on the blog:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body,"

Yes, we respect our bodies and treat them well as they were made in God's image. And if we can work toward the virtues (temperence, etc..) avoid the vices (gluttony, etc) then maybe that is part of the freedom and peace of no dieting or obsessing about exercise. Trust....

Humm just musing...

Leonie said...

Cindy, I like your thoughts - trust. For me, its also work ( and fun!). To paraphrase St Francis de Sales - I do all I can and give it all to God to do what He wills. :-)


A balance of Mind-Body-Spirit

Thought for the Day


"Good friends are good for your health."

~Irwin Sarason

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy! And happy people just don't shoot their husbands!"

Reese Witherspoon as Elle Woods in Legally Blonde