A balance of Mind-Body-Spirit

Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Resolutions?- really? lol

I was listening to KSBJ, a local Christian radio station and the DJs were chatting about New Years Resolutions. And how they are, well... often a flash in the pan and all the gyms are full of new patrons on Jan 2, but by Jan 31, the levels are back to normal.

I kinda feel the same about New Year Resolutions, but I do like taking stock, replacing my organizer with new pages for the upcoming year, jotting in important dates and taking some time to think about where I been and where the year might take us.

I also like Leonie's idea of a 'theme' she would have for each new year. Are you still doing this, Leonie? I have enjoyed thinking about this for 2008.

Anyway, back to resolutions.. these DJs were talking about how New Year plans often fizzle out fast. So what they have found is that 'each day is new'. We can start over each and every day.

We can dedicate each day to Christ.

We can forgive ourselves and others each day anew.

And of course, it reminded me of the beauty of Confession.

So... as I begin the new year, I am going to try and keep my focus long term, but also on each new day. I will stumble and fall, but I will get up again... it is really about the journey I guess.

New years is a nice time to take stock, but it is something I can do each day, each moment. Oh, Stephen Curtis Chapman has a great song about living in each moment.. and my darling 14yos son and I are going to his concert here on feb 14! I am so excited.

Wow, this post was all over the place! lol

Happy New Years!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Cindy,
I loved this post. Last night my husband asked me if I was doing something for the new year, because he was standing near me the other night when I was checking out SparkPeople.com. So, I told him that I wasn't. Too many times in the past, regardless of whether it was losing a few pounds, exercising more, going completely orgainic, reading more spiritual books etc...whatever...all too often by about 2 to 3 months time I had given up.

I don't really want to make a resolution (look what good they have done for the U.N.). I, too, want to be more conscious of whatever it is I am doing...instead of just running on auto-pilot.

Happy New Year,
Rachel

Leonie said...

Happy Fitness New Year! :-)

Rachel May said...

"New years is a nice time to take stock, but it is something I can do each day, each moment."

Bill and I were just talking about this this morning! When I want to change, something I do it now, when it needs to be done and when I have the motivation. And we were saying (based on the homily we had just heard) how what we really need to do is make GRACE be a part of our strength. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do that since we were a bit lost about how to start. :)


A balance of Mind-Body-Spirit

Thought for the Day


"Good friends are good for your health."

~Irwin Sarason

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy! And happy people just don't shoot their husbands!"

Reese Witherspoon as Elle Woods in Legally Blonde