A balance of Mind-Body-Spirit

Saturday, May 26, 2007

A One Woman Crusade!

Two years ago we moved here. For two years I have struggled with the fact that no one waves. Or even looks at you. You know, when you are walking down the street? We moved from the south where you--well, just do it--and smile. We recently visited our old town and dd(who is 4) commented, "Mommy, why does everyone here raise their hand?" People were waving :)
So, I have been taking my weekend walks and waving and smiling at the cars going by. When the kids and I walk on the road-they now wave and smile, too. People are starting to wave and smile back-especially the older folks. I am starting to recognize people. This is so cool!! We are changing the world-well, our neighborhood-- one wave at a time :)
This week I did well exercise-wise. I did my jog/walk on the treadmill 15-20 minutes, twice. Weights once--only half the workout since I did it with the video and it takes longer. I took Friday off--the push ups on Thursday really did me in. This am went for my "waving" walk down to the river--very pretty. My pup was a little distracted today so it wasn't the most aerobic walk :) I am finding muscles I haven't heard from in years :)
Food-really visited the chocolate this week. Have to review by Bestlife book and get re-inspired.
I am taking notes on everyones exercise videos. I am already dreading winter and keeping up with exercise and staying motivated. Can anyone recommend a good beginner core strength video?
Have a great weekend and keep moving!
Anne

2 comments:

Leonie said...

Anne, lovely to read your check in!

We have moved lots and it is interestin to note how different people are in different regions - we hae been here in Sydney two years and although it is a big city ( 6.5 million people) , it is very friendly.

Good for you wrt your crusade!

Loved hearing about your walks, your workouts and your push ups.
:-)Have you tried any pilates workouts? They are often good for core strength - a nice beginner is the Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates, 3 10 minute sections. I also like the 10 Minute Solution workouts - esp Banish The Belly Fat and the Stability Ball workout. You can do one or more 10 minute section and they all work your core.

Cindy said...

Hi Anne-

I just love your waving story.

I live in the south, but a big city. No one waves out in the city/burbs, but in my neighborhood we all do.

But, when I go visit my parents, who live in rural East Texas, EVERYONE waves!! It is funny, if we are on a walk, it almost feels like a chore to me to wave-wave-wave-wave-wave at each car. I know if I dont' it will get back to my mom.. lol But that is good.

You will make a difference. It is like Mother Teresa said.. something about how a smile can change the world.

Enjoy your posts!


A balance of Mind-Body-Spirit

Thought for the Day


"Good friends are good for your health."

~Irwin Sarason

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy! And happy people just don't shoot their husbands!"

Reese Witherspoon as Elle Woods in Legally Blonde