A balance of Mind-Body-Spirit

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Racquetball at the Y


Today I played racquetball with John (dh). Pant, pant, pant!

What a workout! I had my heartrate monitor on and saw I burned 250 calories in 25 minutes! Yeah, a lot of the reason is I need a lot of improvement in strategy and ball placement so I'm not running all over the court.

The few times I found John trapped on one side of the court and could accurately place it on the other side, I knew I had him cooked. This is especailly true for players over 40. If you can make them run, you can beat them.

Well, John made me run much more and he beat me, too. Plus he has this serve that just dies in the back left corner that got by me 5 points in a row. ARGH.

We ran into the instructor the boys took from 2 years ago today, too. Think we will buy a group of 3 lessons and we can share them.

It really is fun to vary the workout routine. Something new to do!

What was the score of the games, I hear you asking? You would.

Game one: John 15, Cindy 12
Game two: John 15, Cindy 4.

Yeah, I know. As I tried to really concentrate the second game I fell apart. It is mental.. and well, that running thing, too. lol

3 comments:

Leonie said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! I am hopeless at ball sports. :-) And i was hoping the pic would be one of you playing raquet ball ( called squash here, btw)!!

Cindy said...

Ha ha... I will try and see if I can get a picture of dh and me next time.. it will have to be through the little window in the door... and my backend will be facing the camera... lol!

Well, we have squash in the US, too.. It has a smaller racquet and a ball that won't bounce. I call is racquetball for masochists! haha

I tried it once in college. Racquetball has a nice bouncy ball, and like the man in the cartoon, it WILL come back to you.

I was thinking today one reason I like it better than tennis is if you miss the ball the first time by, it will bounce off the back wall and you get a second chance!

My kind of game.... :)

You should try it.. if you have a place. You can start slow and it is really fun right from the start. I am only beginner/intermediate and it is a fun game. The only time it is not fun to me, is if you are playing someone way better or way worse than you. I guess that is the same for any two-person sport...

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Too funny - the comic, I mean...and spending time with dh...very nice!


A balance of Mind-Body-Spirit

Thought for the Day


"Good friends are good for your health."

~Irwin Sarason

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy! And happy people just don't shoot their husbands!"

Reese Witherspoon as Elle Woods in Legally Blonde